This is a list of movies I like that I consider mind expanding or explore topics that are of interest to those that might like this blog. Surprisingly there are a number of them that are actually mainstream or have mainstream actors. I will expand on this list as I think of more and provide some overview to some of the topics covered. The majority of these movies are available on Netflix or online. Thanks for looking.
- The Matrix – How could I start out a list with anything other than The Matrix. This movie introduces us to the fact that the world is more than we perceive and that we are living in a life of illusions. I actually need to watch this movie again.
- Fight Club – It’s only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything.” We are consumers and we tend to define ourselves by the cars we drive or the furniture that we own, but the truth is that we are the all singing, all dancing crap of the world. Of course I am not saying that we should go all Project Mayhem and destroy the capitalistic notions of this country, at least through violence anyway. The truth is that we can change the world by changing ourselves and by realizing that we are not just a conglomeration of transient stuff that we have accumulated. Let go of every object and thought that you think defines you and open yourself up to the universe.
- Visioneers – A Zach Galifanakis vehicle, but you will not find any Hangover related antics here. This movie goes deep into the mind by showing an Orwellian 1984 or Brazil type view of the world. We get caught up in the rut of day to day thinking, but when we open ourselves up to the possibilities of the world, we can fully realize that it is a beautiful place. We can overcome anything, even the modern day chains that tie us down.
- The Nines – Another sort of indie movie with Ryan Reynolds and Melissa McArthy starring. A seemingly separate tale of three different egos, played by the same characters. The movie does get long in parts, but like the others the emphasis is put on the mind and identification. Go along for the ride on this one.
- Lunopolis – What starts out as a seemingly typical sci-fi movie turns into something much deeper. Ego and identification are explored here as well. The movie takes two different perspectives in time, which can be confusing in parts, but stick with it and you will be rewarded.
- John Dies at the End – This one is definitely for the drug, mind expanding crowd. Transmigration of ego is explored here with many twists and turns. This one is highly recommended even though the ending is a little bit of a let down. There are a number of things that could have been explored further, but still a number of kudos to the writers, producers and directors on this one.
- Three Magic Words – The Netflix description of this one does not do it justice. I think that the description is a cover for some of the power held within. I won’t tell you the three magic words, but I can tell you that you should practice them. That is my goal anyway.
- Melancholia – A planet hidden from us by the moon is about to crash into the Earth and everyone has their own way of dealing with it. Kirsten Dunst who has abandoned life and lives in a melancholy stupor finds the most peace with the impending end to all of civilization while others take the cowards way out.
- eXisTeZ –
- Dark City –
- Doing Time, Doing Vipassanā’. It’s on YouTube: http://youtu.be/WkxSyv5R1sg (52 minutes)
- The Dhamma Brothers – The Dhamma Brothers is a documentary film released in 2007 about a prison meditation program at Donaldson Correctional Facility near Bessemer, Alabama.
- Magnolia –
There are a number more movies and videos that I cannot think of right now, but I will add them as I remember or uncover them. Do you have any recommendations for me?
- Fight Club Analysis: The Liberating Tyler Durden and the Calamity of Project Mayhem (lidafilmmaker.wordpress.com)
- THE MATRIX: Retold By Someone’s Mom (Animated) (geektyrant.com)
- John Dies At The End 2012 download mp4 movie online. Watch John Dies At The End 2012 movie online. Mper, avi, 100% Free. (agreementfreemov.wordpress.com)
- What is your favorite movie? (kritiquekim.wordpress.com)
- How to Make an Indie Movie (rbbaileyjr.wordpress.com)
- Lecture 07 – “Fight Club – Project Mayhem: Extreme Culture Jamming” (robertmn.wordpress.com)
- We are slaves. We have no more say in our choices, our lives and our destinies, than cattle that are herded, or chickens in their coop. We are at the mercy of forces we cannot even begin to comprehend, forces that definitely do not have our welfare at hea (eagleman6788.wordpress.com)
- New Sci-Fi Movies You Need To Watch (thekingslayer.com)
- What’s Your Favorite Movie? – Sleepless In Seattle(1993) (girlinsneakers.wordpress.com)
- The Anurag Kashyap genre (probanpictures.wordpress.com)